The Research Manager will be based in Dakar with visits to field projects and representation of ALIMA within CORAL and to external agencies, conferences or meetings. She/he will report directly to the General Director and the Director of operations. She/he will be a member of the Managers group that gathers the 20 top managers of ALIMA.
The Research Manager ensures that ALIMA’s research projects comply with legal and ethical requirements, receive appropriate technical support and human resource staffing.
S/he oversees research activities within the organization and is responsible for assuring the integration of research projects within the on-going programs, ie: integrated in the operational management.
S/he will support the current panel of research projects (see table in annex): S/he will work closely with CORAL platform, other research partners and the operational desks, based in Dakar and Abuja, to ensure they receive the adequate information and support. S/he assists in securing funding from donors for ongoing and new research projects.
Primary liaison with our research partners
The research manager is in charge of coordinating the CORAL Platform. This entity is composed of 2 representatives from the University of Bordeaux (clinical scientist and epidemiologist), 1 representative from INSERM, an infectious disease specialist from PAC-Ci and 3 representatives from ALIMA. The Research Manager will join this team and assist them to draft research proposals and monitor the grant submission process. S/he will be a member of the CORAL Directors’ Committee, will participate in the organization of the bi-annual meetings to discuss progress in ongoing projects (the PIPO, eg Pilotage de Projets) and the annual scientific committee.
She/he is also in charge to support the institutional relationships with our other research partners particularly to coordinate all legal, contractual and financial relationships.
Ensure that ALIMA complies with its duties when Sponsoring researches
Set-up the appropriate processes and tools for ALIMA to properly Sponsor trials including: international and local ethics compliance processes; international and national research insurances; data ownership compliance and data sharing policies; administrative requirements with research partners; other legal requirements.
She/he assures the convening of and on-going communication with appropriate governance boards for the trials sponsored by ALIMA, specifically Data Safety and Monitoring Boards, Scientific Advisory boards.
Supervise the research funding advisor to identify and obtain funding for relevant research projects
The Research Manager will work closely with the Research Funding Advisor and members of CORAL to identify appropriate funding streams for research projects under consideration. S/he may also participate in liaising and maintaining relationships with donors, and providing regular information on on-going research and operations.
Support the regional and country teams in the implementation of research projects
The Research Manager, based in Dakar, develops familiarity will all ALIMA operations and maintains regular contact with Dakar-based operations teams. S/he supports the operational and research team to plan, find the resources and monitor the research projects within ALIMA. S/he will develop a network of contacts with Ethics Committees in countries where ALIMA is conducting studies.
Directly participate to research projects
S/He can participate directly to one or several research projects as an investigator or a project coordinator.
3 years minimum as project leader or PI of research projects in LMICs.
- Proven ability to independently identify and process funding for medical research.
- Demonstrated competence in research in the areas of infectious disease, maternal-child health, childhood malnutrition
- Experience in team management/leadership
- Fluent English, written and spoken.
- French, spoken. Written is advantageous.
- Contract: Open Ended Contract, 3 months’ probationary period renewable once – maximum 6 months of probationary period.
- Starting Date: As soon as possible
- Salary: Level 8 of the Dakar function grid. Gross salary starting at 2 000 000 CFA per month depending on experience.
- Travel costs between the employee’s country of origin and Dakar, unless recruited locally;
- Five weeks’ annual leave per year as well as a recovery system for days spent on work travel; + one additional month paid leave after 3 years at HQ
- One round trip per year between Dakar and the employee’s country of origin for the employee and her / his dependents + one individual round trip;
- One-time relocation allowance at the beginning of the contract in Dakar;
- School annual enrollment fees for children from 2 to 18, according to the ALIMA HQ policy;
- Comprehensive medical insurance including repatriation insurance for the employee and her/ his dependents, according to ALIMA’s insurance policy.
Please send your CV with a cover letter that highlights what you consider to be your most significant professional achievements and how these contribute to the vision you have for further development of research capacity within ALIMA. Specify when you would be available to start and provide the names of 2 or 3 references.
Apply before 23 June 2020:
N.B.: Applications are processed in the order of arrival and we reserve the right to close the offer before the term initially indicated if a good application is successful.
ALIMA is currently involved in over 20 research projects mainly on malnutrition, paediatry and viral hemorrhagic fever. For more details, please see the website.
Retrouvez toute l’actu Tech et des Nouveaux Médias en Afrique sur Socialnetlink.